Working with Products
|https://api.channeladvisor.com/v1/products||Provides access to the account's products, including attributes, distribution centers, and available quantity.|
With the products endpoint, the following operations may be performed:
- Create a product
- Update or Delete a product
- Manage bundles and bundle components
- Add, update, or remove attributes
- Add, update, or remove images
- Add, update, or remove labels
- Add, update, or remove quantity
Types of Products
A product in the ChannelAdvisor system can be one of the following types:
|Standalone||The default type of product. Self-contained and without any relationship to other products, it can be listed and purchased.||Yes||Yes|
|Parent||A container for one or more child items that vary by one or more attributes such as size or color. A parent does not have quantity and is not purchasable.||No||No|
|Child||A child product can be purchased and is always related to a single parent product. A child product usually exists for each variation of a parent product.||Yes||Yes|
|Bundle||Bundles are a virtual container for one or more other buyable items. For example, a bundle may contain one camera and two memory cards. Each bundle component, which can be either a standalone or child product, has a component multiplier quantity, which is used to calculate the bundle's overall quantity.||Yes||Yes (calculated)|
Flow of Product Creation
Outline the process of creating products (as a general concept):
The Product Creation and Update process usually flows something like this with REST API.
- Client provides new SKU data to the system at will.
- Some pre-requisites may need to be in place depending on design of the client products:
- Variation Names/Types
- Distribution Centers
- During creation of SKUs, apply all known product attributes within the same product creation request for ease of use - otherwise individual attribute requests are required to append new attributes.
- Apply Quantity information to products.
Once a product has been created, these are the options going forward:
CREATE Bundles The products now need to be applied to Bundles for sale. UPDATE Field Data Data needs to be adjusted added for an existing product in an existing field ADD More Data
Data needs to be added to an existing product in an existing field, or a new field and data needs to be added for a product
DELETE Individual Data
A data point needs to be cleared of the existing values, leaving a blank
DELETE the Entire Product Remove a product from the system because it is no longer active UPLOAD Product Data Same as ADD and UPDATE, but executed in bulk EXPORT Product Data Extract data in bulk